Appropriate for Grades: 3 up
This is a popular classroom activity that can be easily adapted to make learning about graphing using a spreadsheet more fun. Give a packet of M&Ms to each group and get them to count the colors and graph them.
- Divide the class into small groups.
- Give each group a packet of M&Ms.
- Get the students to divide the M&Ms into color groups.
- Work out how many in each group.
- Open a spreadsheet.
- Title the page.
- Add columns for colors and number of M&Ms.
- Enter the results from counting the M&Ms.
- Select the results and click on the graphing tool.
- Make a new graph and enlarge it so that the results are
- clear .
- Save and print a copy of the M&Ms graph.
- Eat the M&Ms!
- Software: Spreadsheet / Excel M&Ms
- Pen, paper
- Printer, paper
Further ideas and comments